Monday, October 26, 2009

Blessings.

I recently read a blog post by my good friend and roommate Drew. He laid out some thoughts on blessing and how modern-day Christians define it in comparison to what Jesus said about it in the book of Matthew.

Some of these thoughts, as well as others about which I am to blog, popped into my head this Sunday when I was sitting in church.

A man who works at my church was up front talking about the church's financial situation, noting the recent considerable drop in offerings collected. After sharing some details, he lead the congregation in a prayer in which he asked God to bless those who are hard-up with full-time jobs that pay better than the ones they had before, jobs with benefits so that families can be adequately taken care of and so that people can live with a little more peace.

I want to be very clear about this: I take no issue with the things for which that man prayed in front of the congregation. I have no problem with praying for and trusting God for provision; in fact I endorse it. I regularly pray that God would provide for me and that I would be able to trust him to do it, especially in circumstances in which it's difficult to see how things will work out for me financially.


But the word bless reminded me of Drew's blog entry and made me think of the way I think about blessings. Drew lays out some of the ways we've turned blessing into materialism - it's plain to see that there's some truth to that.

I started to think about how I define blessing and how that measures up to Jesus's words in Matthew 5. I started to think about the things with which I ask God to bless me.


My mind's definition of blessing (as evidenced by the "blessings" for which I ask God) is both different from and exactly the same as everyone else's.


When it comes to blessings, I don't spend a lot of time and energy thinking about the material things I have. I've never been a person who's been very strongly concerned with those sorts of things. If it sounds like I'm putting myself above anyone else, it's only a matter of sentences before I clearly explain how I'm at the exact same level as the most selfish and materialistic of men.


The blessings I ask for are generally immaterial and most often have to deal with my interactions with others. I ask to be used by God to make an impact in other people's lives. When people I know are in particularly difficult situations, I ask God to use me to bless them by bringing them comfort or encouragement. When I'm at a ministry event or going to hang out with someone I know primarily from a ministry setting, I ask God to use me to bring love and hope to them.

At a quick glance, the "blessings" I ask for are way better than materialistic blessings - they're philanthropic, humanistic. They seem less selfish than wanting to be blessed with a big house or a bunch of money or some other material excess. I mean, the things I'm asking for are "more right" or "less bad" than materialistic wishes, right?

Maybe not.

On a basic level, a person who's pursuing materialistic or financial "blessings" is just putting their energy toward interacting with God and hoping that it gets them what they want. Success, comfort, riches, ease of living, whatever.

What am I doing? I'm putting energy toward interacting with God and hoping that it gets me what I want. I want a different thing - something that might seem much nobler or more worthwhile - but when it comes down to it, I'm doing the same thing as the guy who's actions tell you that he thinks God exists to make him comfortable.

The materialistic, health-and-wealth gospel guy is doing what he can to fill his need to feel comfortable and secure. I'm doing what I can to fill my need to feel significant.

I'm doing the same thing.

Does it matter that I'm pursuing a different end if I'm using the same means? I don't know.

My definition of blessing is the same as everybody else's: the next thing I want.

Let's take a look at Matthew 5.

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger for righteousness, for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

You likely noticed that I bolded the "for" after the comma in each of those. It can be easily replaced with a word like "because" and still hold its meaning.

Because theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Because they will be filled (with righteousness). Because they will be shown mercy. Because they will see God. Because they will be called Sons of God.

When you look at it this way, it's easy to see the second half of those sentences as what Jesus is defining as blessing in that particular moment; if you are blessed because you will be shown mercy, being shown mercy is the blessing.

Being shown mercy, being filled with righteousness, seeing God, being called God's son - these are blessings. Not just having the next thing you want. If you want those things, sweet. Looks like you're after true blessings. I hope that my efforts sometimes stray far enough from just fulfilling my need for significance that they approach pursuing true blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment